Getting Help In A Lab
If you are in a computer lab and need assistance you may contact the Lab Assistants. Many labs have phones in the hallway outside the lab, or nearby. Dial 8623 from any on campus phone to reach a Lab Assistant.
You may also go to Sverdrup Room 107 to get assistance from a Lab Assistant.
Lab Assistants are available anytime during regular lab hours.
Our staff of lab assistants can:
- Answer general computing questions about getting started, saving, and printing.
- Assist students in learning to operate the scanners.
- Check out headphones and accessories.
- Replenish printing supplies and clear paper jams in printers.
- Record maintenance requests to pass along to the full-time staff.
- Assist in file translation, where possible, between programs and platforms.
Our staff of lab assistants cannot:
- Offer tutoring or instruction on highly specialized software such as programming languages or multimedia authoring. They will make every effort to help students find the support they need from manuals and online help.
- Explain homework assignments. These questions will be referred to the instructor.
- Make modifications to the labs, hard drives, peripherals or the network, or make repairs "on the spot." They will make every effort to relocate students or work around problems when they arise, and report problems to our technicians for repair.